2kg pork shoulder
2 or 3 sticks celery
1 large carrot
1 salt cured orange pith removed (preserved lemons can be substituted)
3 large garlic cloves
2 tbsp ras al hanout mix
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
2 rosemary sprigs
- Mix spice rub ingredients and rub over pork joint. Leave to marinade for at least a few hours - I leave overnight.
- Add roughly chopped veg, orange and pork to the slow cooker with water to reach half way up the joint.
- Cook on low-medium for 6-12 hours. It's done when it is tender and pulls apart easily.
- Served shredded or in large chunks with accompaniment of choice
- Good served with flat bread/wraps/rice/potatoes - I am happy with most carbs as a accompaniment to this recipe!
2 cups split peas
2 garlic cloves
2 lemons (zest and juice)
Handful Fresh mint
Pinch of Paprika/ras al hanout
- Soak split peas overnight
- Rinse well then place in large pan with lots of water
- Add 1/2 the mint, 1 chopped onion, 1 lemon zest, chilli,
- Boil for 10-15 mins uncovered then simmer covered until tender (approx 40 mins-1 hour) Can also be cooked in slow cooker. I did this for about 6 hours on med-high setting but they're done when soft.
- Drain when done and add remaining mint (leaving a small amount back for garnish) lemon juice and zest, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil
- You can leave chunky but I blend it then add pinch of paprika or ras al hanout and some mint to serve.
- Good warm as an accompaniment or cold as a dip or on toasted bread.