- Put the tomatoes in a saucepan with the butter, onion, and salt.
- Cook uncovered at a very slow, but steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until it is thickened to your liking and the fat floats free from the tomato.
- Stir from time to time, mashing up any large pieces of tomato with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Taste and check for salt.
- Discard the onion before tossing with pasta (however I often blend this into the sauce)
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan. Enjoy!
Wednesday, 17 October 2012
Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce
This recipe is adapted from Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. I discovered this recipe about 10 years ago via its inclusion in cook book Dishy by Kevin Gould.
You need never buy ready made sauce again. This is so fresh, simple, tasty and cheap. A really delicious and helpful addition to your cooking repertoire.
This recipe serves 6
2lb ripe tomatoes (deskinned and chopped)
or 2 large tins chopped tomatoes
5 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
Salt to taste