Tuesday 21 January 2014

roasted butternut squash soup with ras al hanout




well the rain and the cold is here, so soup time it is!  Also am feeling poorly and should probably supplement my diet with more than whisky hot toddies and Dairy Milk.  I love soup - so little effort for so much comforting goodness.  Here's one of my favourites - a simple roasted butternut squash soup that you can spice up in any number of ways.  This is so easy to make and pep up with your favourite spices.  I will often make this with curry powder instead of the ras al hanout.  

A simple and comforting soup - perfect for these colder evenings. 

top tip:  No need to peel the squash before cooking, as it's much easier after you have roasted it.

recipe author:  chip butties and noodle soup  
serves:  3-4 

ingredients:


1 butternut squash
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp ras al hanout (optional or you can use your spice of choice
coriander or parsley - chopped
1.5 litre good chicken or vegetable stock
2-3 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
  1. preheat the oven to 200c
  2. chop the butternut squash and onion into chunky pieces and put in a roasting tin and before mixing with the ras al hanout, olive oil, garlic cloves and salt and pepper to taste.
  3. roast for about 20-30 minutes until the veg is softened and slightly caramelised around the edges. 
  4. carefully peel the squash (you can scoop it easily with a spoon from the skin), then add with them rest of the ingredients to a large saucepan.
  5. Add the stock and simmer for about 5-10 minutes before removing from the heat and blending.
  6. add your fresh herbs if using and serve immediately.  

fsf-winter

I have also entered this recipe onto the Four Seasons Food blog challenge for January.  Hosted by delicieux and Eat Your Veg.  The theme this month is virtuous food :-)

3 comments:

  1. I've made many a butternut squash soup, and usually roasting first, but never thought of using Ras el Hanout to spice it up a little. I have a jar of the lovely stuff and am so so going to try. Inspiring! Hope it helped in making you a little better (though the hot toddies and Dairy Milk sounded like a good option to me). Thanks so much for linking up to Four Seasons Food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made many a butternut soup, and usually roast first, but never thought of spicing it up with Ras el Hanout. But since I have a jar of the lovely stuff I'm so going to try now. Delish I'm sure. Hope it helped you feel a little better (though the Dairy Milk and Hot Toddies sounded good to me). Thanks so much for linking up to Four Seasons Food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Lou - thanks for stopping by. Soup is always good for making you feel better isn't it, just need to have the energy to make it when your feeling ill. Good to have some ready made in the freezer I find. Do let me know how you get on with the ras al hanout., I love to add a bit of spice to things and experimenting with ones I haven't tried before.

      Delete