This is a dish that should not be served 'piping hot' as this will not bring out the flavours fully. When mixed leave to stand for about 20 minutes before serving. This would be great as a main course on its own but would also be good as part of a tapas or mezze platter with other dishes.
preparation time: 1 hour-overnight (marinating time)
cooking time: 30-40 minutes
for the marinade:
200g quick cook wheat - I use this (bulgar wheat or cous cous would work equally well)
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- put the lamb in a bowl with all the marinade ingredients - leave covered in the fridge for at least 1 hour, but preferably overnight.
|marinading the lamb|
- when ready to start cooking, and your marinading is done preheat the oven to about 190C
- chop your chosen vegetables into similar sized chunks, mix with the olive oil, salt and pepper then put in a roasting tin and cook for about 20-30 minutes. The vegetables should have softened and slightly browned around the edges.
- to prepare the lamb preheat a frying pan with the olive oil - when hot brown the lamb on all sides then place in a roasting pan with any leftover marinade liquid and roast for about 10 minutes (or until cooked to your liking)
- while this is cooking prepare your quick cook wheat (cous cous or bulgar wheat) according to packet instructions. When cooked drain and leave to one side.
- when the lamb is done leave to rest for at least 10 minutes
- next slice the lamb and mix with the wheat and roasted veg before garnishing with the sesame seeds and chopped fresh mint, finishing with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Enjoy with more rose harissa chilli sauce as I do if you like it even spicier!
|Rose harissa lamb with roasted vegetable and grain salad|
|rose harissa chilli sauce|