...a slightly contradictory recipe but it works well. A light and fluffy fat free sponge - almost virtuous - filled with full fat whipped cream and jam! You could of course substitute a lower fat filling such as low fat creme fraiche or mascarpone and fresh fruit however as I am also doing my bit to prevent food waste (I had a pot of double cream that needed to be used up) that is what I am using. So if you needed another reason that baking this was a good idea this is not only delicious but also environmentally friendly ;-)
Just off to do my run now......happy baking :-)
180g caster sugar
90g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
3-4 tbs fruit jam (I used plum)
250ml double cream
- preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line 2 8" sandwich tins.
- whisk the eggs and sugar together for at least 4-5 minutes with an electric whisk - until it is has doubled in size and is light and airy.
- sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt and add the vanilla extract - fold in gently with a metal spoon - being careful not to knock the air out.
- pour the mixture equally between the 2 tins and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes. It is done when slightly springy to touch.
- remove carefully from the tins and leave on a wire rack until completely cool.
- for the filling - spread the jam on one of the cakes then whisk up the cream until thick.
- spread the cream over the jam before sandwiching with the other cake
- sprinkle with icing sugar and it is ready! Enjoy with a lovely cup of tea.